Your Intown Atlanta Neighborhood Guide: Decatur
It’s generally understood that the most popular alternative to moving to the suburbs is moving to Decatur. Decatur was founded in 1822 and is the oldest city in DeKalb County. Considered by many to be one of the best neighborhoods for raising a family, Decatur offers excellent schools and activities geared toward kids. And for all those dog lovers whose kids walk on four legs, Decatur offers three dog parks for Fido to romp around in (i.e., Adair Dog Park, Oakhurst Dog Park, and Glenlake Dog Park).
The historic Decatur Square, where most of Decatur’s festivals are held, is the perfect place to spend an afternoon or evening. After wandering through the many boutiques and shops that support local artists’ crafts, you must not forget to try one of the many restaurants that offer outstanding food and drinks. In fact, in 2012, Southern Living identified Decatur as one of the Tastiest Towns in the South. Moreover, during summers, many flock to the square to enjoy free concerts and jazz festivals.
Just south of the Decatur Square is an excellent women’s liberal arts university, Agnes Scott College, which was rated as the second most beautiful college campus in the country by the Princeton Review.
Neighborhoods in Decatur include Adair Park, Chelsea, Clairemont Historic District, Decatur Heights, Downtown Decatur, MAK Historic District, Oakhurst, Ponce de Leon Court Historic District, Sycamore Ridge, and Winnona Park.
Search Real Estate For Sale
- Clairemont Elementary (View Ratings)
- Oakhurst Elementary (View Ratings)
- Glennwood Heights Elementary (View Ratings)
- Winnona Park Elementary (View Ratings)
- 4/5 Academy at Fifth Avenue Elementary (View Ratings)
- Renfroe Middle School (View Ratings)
- Decatur High School (View Ratings)
- Walk Score: 63. Decatur is a pretty walk-able city, with several highly acclaimed restaurants and boutiques in the square. The square is the perfect place for a Friday night date or a Sunday afternoon with the family.
- Approximately 3 miles to I-285; Easy access to Ponce de Leon Ave & Clairemont Rd.
- Have to see it to believe it? Now you can take a Virtual Tour of the Neighborhood!
View Larger Map
Things To Do / Local Events & Activities
- AJC Decatur Book Festival – great for kids, teens, and adults alike, offering booths after booths of great reads for all ages.
- Decatur Beach Party
- Decatur Craft Beer Festival
- Easter Egg Hunt on the Square
- Green Fest
- BBQ, Blues, and Bluegrass Festival
- Breakfast with Santa.
- Adair Park – dog park, playground, pavilion
- Glenlake Park – 17 acres; tennis, pool, baseball, basketball, dog park, picnic pavilion, playground
- Winnona Park – playground, green space
- Oakhurst Park – dog park, basketball, playground, tennis, baseball, restrooms,
- McKoy Park- skatepark, basketball, baseball, concession, green space
Real Estate Market Snapshot
- Median home sales: $365,000.
- Townhomes/condos/lofts median sales: $205,000
- Compared to median home sales in Atlanta, Decatur is more expensive.
Who We Are
The Weiner Group is one of the largest producers of sales and transactions with the Atlanta Board of Realtors, with over 100 transactions and 30 Million in volume for the last year. Ranked #2 in the state of Georgia and in the Top 100 Nationally for RE/MAX, we continue to proudly serve buyers and sellers in the Atlanta market. The Weiner Group provides a very focused, personal and professional approach to each and every customer. We want your home buying or selling experience to be the best that it can be, and we won’t stop working until you are completely satisfied. Please feel free to give us a call or send us an email and it would be our pleasure to assist you in selling or finding your dream home.