Your Intown Atlanta Neighborhood Guide: Druid Hills
Many people have heard of Emory University (i.e., the “Harvard of the South”) and the Center for Disease Control, but what most people don’t know is that both are located in the exceptional neighborhood of Druid Hills.
Druid Hills is one of the largest and most affluent “suburbs” of the city. Home styles in Druid Hills include Georgian, Tudor, Jacobean, and Italian Renaissance, to highlight a few of the more popular designs. Fun fact – in filming Driving Miss Daisy, Druid Hills served as the location for Miss Daisy’s mansion. Very Cool.
While visiting Druid Hills, you must not miss out on driving south along Clifton Rd. It’s one of the most stunning drives that you can take, while in the city. The curvy tree-lined street is sandwiched between the Fernbank Forest on the east and the Druid Hills Golf Club on the West. Sprinkle in some estate homes and a few historic mansions, and you’ve got yourself the perfect drive.
Still not satisfied? Take a drive down Ponce de Leon going east and you will see exactly why I adore this city. You see, in the early 1900s when the Olmstead brothers planned this neighborhood, they wanted to create a major avenue that was surrounded by parks on either side with mansions located on the outermost fringes of the parks. Introduce Ponce de Leon Ave (or Poncey, for short) and Olmstead Linear Park. The SIX! linear parks running alongside the street are lush in flowers, foliage, and ancient trees; park benches are picturesquely placed, with walking trails winding through all of the parks. Simply put, there is nothing else like this street – it reminds me of something out of the movie, Notting Hill.
Druid Hills is a beloved area. It offers excellent public schools and universities, many opportunities for work in the healthcare profession, easy access to transportation (especially because of the student population), a plethora of options for shopping and dining, and outstanding real estate. What’s not to love?!
Search Real Estate For Sale
- Walk Score: 56. The walkability of the neighborhood will largely depend on exactly where you live in it. Most shopping and restaurants are located in the surrounding neighborhoods (such as Virginia Highlands and Decatur), so if you live on the outskirts of Druid Hills, a short walk to the nearest pub is definitely an option
- The neighborhood can get pretty congested during rush hour, due to the large flux of people going to and from the CDC, Emory & Childrens hospital, and the university.
- Easy access to Moreland Ave, Ponce de Leon Ave., and Clairmont Rd.
- Have to see it to believe it? Now you can take a Virtual Tour of the Neighborhood!
Things To Do / Local Events & Activities
- Festival on Ponce
- ARTLANTIS Art & Music Festival
- AJC Decatur Book Festival
- Fernbank Science Center & National Museum of History
- Druid Hills Golf Club
- Dekalb Tennis Center
- Emory Point – Built in 2012, a large Live-Work-Play development
- Emory Village – just outside the entrance of Emory University, this little village is perfect for a quick bite during your lunch hour or a coffee break before work (or school).
- Fernbank Forest – self-guided tours availalble in the 65 acre undisturbed forest
- Olmstead Linear Park – walking trails, playground
- Herbert Taylor Park
- Mason Mill Park – multi-use trails, playground
Real Estate Market Snapshot
- Average home sales: $632,396
- Homes typically range from the $300s to 2 Million
- Compared to average home sales in Atlanta, Druid Hills is very expensive.
Who We Are
The Weiner Group is one of the largest producers of sales and transactions with the Atlanta Board of Realtors, with over 100 transactions and 30 Million in volume for the last year. The Weiner Group provides a very focused, personal and professional approach to each and every customer. Ranked #2 in the state of Georgia for RE/MAX Regional Services, we continue to proudly serve buyers and sellers in the Atlanta market. Please feel free to give us a call or send us an email and it would be our pleasure to assist you in finding your dream home.