Your Intown Atlanta Neighborhood Guide: East Lake
I’d be willing to bet you’d never guess it, but East Lake is most known for its Golf. The neighborhood is homes to two courses, the Charlie Yates Golf Course and the East Lake Golf Club. The Charlie Yates Golf course is a smaller, public course, and those who play the course admire views of the exquisite city skyline. The East Lake Golf Club is a very private, expansive, stunning course that is a permanent stop on the PGA tour.
Although the common stereotype of such a neighborhood conjures to mind luxury estates, affluence, and prosperity, East Lake has had its unfortunate share of depravity and misfortune. During the early 1970s, construction began on the notorious East Lake Meadows. Bordering the Charlie Yates Golf Course, these public projects became a hotbed of crime and drug activity, and were nicknamed “little Vietnam.” However, that all changed in the late ‘90s, when Tom Cousins, a local and influential philanthropist, decided to take on East Lake. The projects were razed. In their place, a mixed income community development was constructed: The Villages of East Lake. The development is thriving and has become a model that many other states have used. Moreover, the once dilapidated elementary school was removed and replaced with Atlanta’s first charter school in 2000 – the Charles L. Drew Charter School. Since the founding of the charter school, passing rates of the state reading exam have skyrocketed from 31% to 73%.
In addition, the once neglected East Lake Golf Club, was brought back to life by Mr. Cousins. Although the fees are steep to join – $75,000 – those who live in the Villages of East Lake get to enjoy all the action from the front row….for free! The neighborhood has definitely taken a turn for the better. With housing prices still so affordable, the neighborhood is very attractive to first time home buyers and young professionals.
Read An East Lake Blog
Search Real Estate For Sale
- Maynard H. Jackson High School (View Ratings)
- Walk Score: 44. Although there is not a lot of shopping within walking distance, the restaurants of Oakhurst are a short bike ride away, as well as the Edgewood Shopping District (Kroger, Target, Barnes and Noble, to name a few).
- Easy access to Moreland Ave, Memorial Dr., and I-20.
- Take a Virtual Tour of the Neighborhood!
View Larger Map
Things To Do / Local Events & Activities
- East Lake Farmers Market
- East Lake YMCA
- East Atlanta Beer Festival
- East Atlanta Strut
- Oakhurst Arts and Music Fesitval
- Kirkwood Spring Fling Festival
- East Lake Park
- East Lake Golf Club
- Charlie Yates Golf Course
- Dearborn Park – picnic area and walking trails
- McCoy Park – basketball, swimming pool, baseball, playground, picnic area, skate park
- Oakhurst Park – tennis, baseball, picnic, dog park
Real Estate Market Snapshot
- Average home sales: $190,061
- Fully renovated homes: start in the mid-$200s
- Compared to average home sales in Atlanta, East Lake is less expensive.
Who We Are
The Weiner Group is one of the largest producers of sales and transactions with the Atlanta Board of Realtors, with over 100 transactions and 30 Million in volume for the last year. Ranked #2 in the state of Georgia for RE/MAX Regional Services, we continue to proudly serve buyers and sellers in the Atlanta market. The Weiner Group provides a very focused, personal and professional approach to each and every customer. We want your home buying or selling experience to be the best that it can be, and we won’t stop working until you are completely satisfied. Please feel free to give us a call or send us an email and it would be our pleasure to assist you in selling or finding your dream home.