Your Intown Atlanta Neighborhood Guide: Kirkwood
Prized for its close-knit community, affordability, and location, Kirkwood is especially popular among first time home buyers and young professionals. Gentrification began in the late 1980s and hasn’t stopped since, with home values in recent years appreciating more quickly than a large majority of other Atlanta neighborhoods. The section north of Hosea Williams, dubbed NoHo, has seen more accelerated growth, with a larger proportion of homes renovated, compared to its southern half that lies south of Hosea Williams (SoHo). Craftsman style homes and bungalows are the most common architectural style found in this popular neighborhood.
Downtown Kirkwood is a beloved space, which is formed at the intersection of Oakview Rd. and Hosea Williams Dr., and features a coffee shop, restaurants, pubs, and a pet store, as well as several other boutiques and shops. A recently constructed mixed-use development, Kirkwood Station is home to many of these aforementioned eateries and shops located on the ground level, with luxury townhomes conveniently situated above the fun.
Search Real Estate For Sale
- Toomer Elementary (View Ratings)
- Coan Middle School (View Ratings)
- Maynard H. Jackson High School (View Ratings)
- Walk Score: 61. The neighborhood is pretty walkable. There are several restaurants and shops to be found at the intersection of Hosea Williams Drive and Oakview Rd in Kirkwood. A 30 minute walk into Edgewood will satisfy almost all of your errand/shopping needs at the Edgewood Retail District.
- Quick ride to I-20 and only a few miles east of downtown, Kirkwood is an excellent spot for commuters.
- Kirkwood sits just south of Lake Claire and west of Oakhurst, two very affluent and highly desirable neighborhoods
- Have to see it to believe it? Now you can take a Virtual Tour of the Neighborhood!
View Larger Map
Things To Do / Local Events & Activities
- Spring Fling & Tour of Homes
- East Lake YMCA – built in the early 2000s; features state of the art gym equipment
- Oakhurst Dog Park
- Inman Park Festival
- Sweetwater 420 Fest
- Red Strip Mid Summer Music and Food Festival
- Oakhurst Arts and Music Festival
- Kirkwood has FIVE public parks, including everything from tennis courts, basketball courts, playgrounds, a community garden (which includes an area for composting – my mother would be so proud!), baseball fields, and much more:
- Coan Park
- Gilliam Park
- Kirkwood Urban Forest
- Bessie Brenham Park
- Oakview Park
Real Estate Market Snapshot
- Average home sales: $220,000
- Renovated homes: typically start in the high-$200s and go up to the $500s for new construction or fully restored historic homes
- Compared to average home sales in Atlanta, Kirkwood is average in price
Who We Are
The Weiner Group is one of the largest producers of sales and transactions with the Atlanta Board of Realtors, with over 100 transactions and 30 Million in volume for the last year. The Weiner Group provides a very focused, personal and professional approach to each and every customer. Ranked #2 in the state of Georgia for RE/MAX Regional Services, we continue to proudly serve buyers and sellers in the Atlanta market. Please feel free to give us a call or send us an email and it would be our pleasure to assist you in finding your dream home.