Old Fourth Ward
Your Intown Atlanta Neighborhood Guide: Old Fourth Ward
Known for it’s rich history, Old Fourth Ward (O4W) is the neighborhood in which Martin Luther King Jr. was born and raised. On Auburn Ave, you can still visit the Martin Luther King Jr National Historic Site and see Mr. King’s birth home and even the Ebenezer Baptist Church where he was a pastor throughout his adult life.
Unfortunately, in the mid-1900s, O4W began to decline. Beginning slowly in the ’80s, however, and picking up momentum by 2000, the neighborhood began to gentrify. Spurred on by new real estate developments that took advantage of the neighborhood’s excellent location and highly sought after surrounding neighborhoods (e.g., Inman Park, Poncey Highlands, and Midtown), new construction quickly began on apartments, condos and townhomes that featured retail and coffee shops and markets on the ground level.
Further, the development of the Atlanta Beltline (which began as a Georgia Tech student’s graduate thesis!) was one of the most significant turning points for the O4W, in part because it rapidly fueled nearby real estate development. The Eastside Beltline trail, which runs through O4W, attracts thousands of visitors every day and has propelled significant gentrification of the surrounding area which rushes to catch up. For example, the Ponce City Market which once was a bleak yet large edifice, is currently undergoing major renovation and is set to restore over a million square feet into retail stores, restaurants, office space, a preparatory school, and residential units.
Moreover, in 2011, the Historic Old Fourth Ward Skate Park opened up alongside the Beltline, and was kicked off by the renowned Tony Hawk! Adjoining the skatepark is a playground and large athletic field for all kinds of games and activities. The park and the adjacent Beltline are always bustling with families, pets, and active individuals all enjoying what this wonderful new development has to offer in the O4W.
It’s incredibly exciting to see the progress and new developments taking place in the Old Fourth Ward. Come out and be apart of it!
Search Real Estate For Sale
- Hope Hill Elementary (View Ratings)
- Grady High School (View Ratings)
- Walk Score: 79. O4W is rated in the top 10 most walkable neighborhoods in the city, as most errands can be completed by foot. There is no shortage of markets, restaurants, and shopping to choose from.
- Convenient to most major interstates – just 1 mile east of the I-85/I-75 connector and a mile north of I-20.
- The neighborhood is bordered by the historic Inman Park on the east, the popular Midtown on the north, and Downtown on the west.
- Have to see it to believe it? Now you can take a Virtual Tour of the Neighborhood!
View Larger Map
Things To Do / Local Events & Activities
- Old Fourth Ward Parks Festival
- Martin Luther King Jr. Center Tour
- The Masquerade (Concert Venue)
- Ponce City Market
- Truly Living Well Farmers Market
- Edgewood Shopping District
- Little Five Points Shopping District
- Inman Park Festival
- Atlanta Streets Alive
- Historic Old Fourth Ward Park – skatepark, multi-use athletic field, playground
- Central Park – tennis courts, baseketball courts, baseball field, multi-use athletic field, sand volleyball court, rec center
- Atlanta Beltline – multi-use trails
- Freedom Park – multi-use trails
- Inman Park – playground, multi-use trails
Old Fourth Ward Real Estate Market Snapshot
- Average home sale: mid-$200s.
- Newer construction starts in the $400s
- Compared to nearby Atlanta neighborhoods, O4W is affordable.
Who We Are
The Weiner Group is one of the largest producers of sales and transactions with the Atlanta Board of Realtors, with over 100 transactions and 30 Million in volume for the last year. The Weiner Group provides a very focused, personal and professional approach to each and every customer. Ranked #2 in the state of Georgia for RE/MAX Regional Services, we continue to proudly serve buyers and sellers in the Atlanta market. Please feel free to give us a call or send us an email and it would be our pleasure to assist you in finding your dream home.